Imagine Boxing Blogs

Ricky Burns stops WBO challenger in his tracks

Scottish boxer Ricky Burns delighted home crowds last night holding onto his WBO title for a second time

Posted Mar 13, 2011 by Weekend Round-Up

Ricky Burns

Scottish boxer Ricky Burns last night defended his WBO super-featherweight bout against Ghanaian Joseph Laryea. The title fight, held in Glasgow’s Braehead Arena last night, ended in the seventh when Laryea retired with a broken knuckle.

Burns, one of only 13 Scottish World boxing champions, appeared to be ahead in the fight before Laryea was forced to retire. The 27-year-old champion certainly seemed disappointed that the contest ended in retirement as it was clear he was determine and hungry for a win from the moment he came out the tunnel. For many, Burns retaining his title was little surprise as the Coatbridge born fighter was clear favourite.

Burns told press that the 25 year old Ghanaian lacked the conviction to back up the boasts claiming that his management’s decision to retire Laryea was the easy way to get a fighter who was clearly second best out of an awkward situation. For Laryea that is his second loss in his last five fights.

The Ghanaian last fought in Glasgow in December when he confidently beat Paul Appleby however the familiarity of the venue did little to bolster Laryea’s clear lack of conviction throughout. Much to the delight of the home crowd, Ricky Burns managed to retain his WBO super-featherweight title for the second time even in spite of Laryea’s acclaimed ram-rod jab which Burns felt the full force of early on in the contest.

If there was a moment to pick which summed up the overall fight it would be the superb body shot that Burns landed in round two that completed his flurry of full-force punches that Laryea will no doubt be feeling the repercussions of this morning.

Speed played a key role in the win for the 27 year old as Laryea swung an uncoordinated array of punches in the general direction of the Scot, Burns was always one-step ahead.

The seventh round was when the fight was eventually called to a halt but not before the Scotsman had the home crowd on their feet, gasping for breath as he delivered a massive left hook.

At this point, the Ghanaian gave an indication that he was clearly in pain and after a heated exchange, the team in Laryea’s corner gave notice that the 25 year old would not be proceeding with the contest. The home crowd then erupted, leaving Burns to enjoy fully the fruits of his seven rounds of labour.

A unification match is now on the cards for Burns as he looks forward to a title showdown with South Africa’s IBF champion Mzonke Fana later this year.

Why Join Us?

We combine great social networking and excellent content, all in one place!

  • Interests

    Choose the interests you want to follow
  • Community

    Connect with friends and other sports fans
  • Content

    News, Views, Equipment Reviews, Contests & Deals
Join Now

Are you a trainer?